You have to realise that your cooking method can affect your waistline and your cholesterol level. It is time that you take a closer look at your cooking method if you want to be healthier.
Cooking methods include baking, grilling, steaming, frying, poaching, simmering, braising, and stewing. Of the cooking methods, baked comfort food and grilling are considered healthy.
It is said that baking is probably the oldest cooking method. In the past, people baked through wooden or stone stove underground. These days, modern ovens provide convenience and ease of baking. Baking involves dry heat cooking in an enclosed environment without exposure to flame. Here are the advantages of baked comfort food:
- Low in fat: baked foods are low in fat. Cooking in an enclosed environment can keep
stored heat, which can help release natural energy or fat from the food. This way, you need little to no oil to trigger the cooking process. When you need to use oil, make sure that it is unsaturated fat. Keep in mind that in every gram of fat added to the recipe, you add 9 calories to your body.
- Full with taste: with the release of natural energy or fat from baking, you are allowing the food to cook on its own oil. This means that it has a full taste. You should expect that it is very juicy and rich in flavor. The keys to successful bakes are precise temperature, accurate time and right ingredients.
Essentially in baking, you can control what to goes inside. This means that you can choose healthier ingredients or substitutes. It is advised that you use less sugar and replace white flour with whole-wheat flour. Aside from that, you can consider an egg substitute and utilise light products. At the end of the day, it will all boil down to eating smaller servings.
Grilling involves putting the food under intense radiant heat. You can also use this method if you want easy comfort food recipes for dinner. You can use different sources of heat from wood to coals, gas and electric. Here are the advantages of grilling:
- Seals in moisture: when grilling, the high heat will seal in the moisture, which will
keep the food tender. There is no need to add oil or butter.
- Little loss of water-soluble vitamins: grilling usually involves vegetables. Vegetables retain more vitamins and minerals. During the cooking process, there is a little loss of water-soluble vitamins. This is because the cooking time is reduced. Just be on the lookout for charring or burning because it can lead to the formation of carcinogens.
- Grilling options with distinct tastes: in grilling, there are two options you can consider – electric/gas or charcoal. Grilling over charcoal can provide a more distinctive flavor. Electric/gas grilling is easier but it does not have that “smoky” flavor.
When it comes to enhancing the flavor and health benefits, you need to consider baking or grilling. Keep in mind that what cooking method you choose will influence your health. Proper technique is crucial to keep all the cooking methods healthy.