Chaga mushroom is a fungus symbiotically growing on birch trees, and inhabiting colder regions of the globe like Siberia, Alaska, Northern Canada. However, typically not the edible mushroom, yet over the years, it has been used as an ingredient in soups and stews and was credited to prevent affliction by degenerative disorders.
The antioxidant fungus-
Superoxide dismutase is a vital enzyme functioning as an antioxidant by breaking down oxygen molecules orfree radicals that prove harmful to the cell. Uncontrolled oxidation in the body can produce cancer, atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ageing associated degenerative processes. Studies have shown that high levels of Superoxide dismutase are responsible for a prolonged life span and a betterment of overall health. The Chaga mushroom is endowed with this powerful enzyme and the antioxidant effects of the mushroom are much contributed by this.
Other natural sources of this enzyme are mushrooms, peas, edible yeast, dark leafy vegetables, beef heart, wheat germ, and raw liver. Amongst mushrooms, the Chaga possesses quantities that are higher than that found in any other medicinal mushroom. Along with the antioxidant property,it also contains antiviral and immune-boosting qualities too. The majority of Chaga antioxidants are found in the sclerotium that contains massive amounts of melanin, the naturally occurring black pigment that has a high antioxidant potential.
The medicinal values Chaga mushroom possesses is highly regarded all over Asia, Europe and certain parts of North America. The fungus has been a known cure for ailments like ulcers, colitis, and arthritis. Such is the miraculous cure of this mushroom, that it is reported to be a cure for cancers and HIV as well.
Properties of the Chaga mushroom-The reported properties of this medicinal fungus are many.
Antibacterial-resists the growth of bacteria
- Anti-fungal-provides protection against fungal infections and growths
- Anti-Candida-protects againstCandida infections
- Immune system regulator-helps boost the immune-system
- Antiviral-provides resistance against viral infections
- Adaptagen- adapts to the body and provides it with what it needs
- Highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) – has highest ORAC content amongst all natural food. This is a measure of the antioxidant potency of a food or supplement. Chaga mushrooms contain antioxidants that help fight free radicals causing potent cell damage.Chaga can have a very high ORAC-score and stimulates the production of Superoxide dismutase in the body.
A popular form of consumption of this mushroom is incorporating it in tea. The Chaga tea is prepared by boiling pieces of Chaga in water. The chunks are brewed in the water for some time and then drained, and to this, a sweetening agent, honey, or maple syrup can be added. Regular consumption of this little concoction can prevent serious ailments and degenerative disorders.
The antioxidant properties of this mushroom quite attract health and fitness conscious individuals. The potential for its use as a drug used to treat HIV infections is noteworthy. The magical healing mushroom has no serious side effects, although clinical trials have not been conducted to document this.